1 Select your Product.
2 Review your order.
3 Payment & BOOK Your Survey.

If you have any problems, please let us know, by sending an email to support@smarteplansuk.com Thank you!


Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 6:00PM


Permitted Development

Under new regulations that came into force on 1 October 2008 an extension or addition to a house is considered to be permitted development and not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
-No more than half the area of land around the "original house" would be covered by additions to buildings.
-No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
-No extension higher than the highest part of the roof.
-Maximum depth of a single storey rear extension to be three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
-Maximum height of a single storey rear extension to be four metres.
-Maximum ridge and eaves height no higher than existing house.
-Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house
-Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
-Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure glazed: any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.



There are benefits in gaining a Certificate of Lawful Use or Development. It is a determination that has legal status providing certainty to prospective developers and purchasers of land and buildings.
Certificates of Lawful Use or Development will be particularly beneficial to those participating in the housing market. Solicitors representing purchasers of, for example, extended dwellings, will usually require documentary evidence that extensions such as conservatories are lawful. This evidence may assist with the sale of property.
Certificates of Lawful Use or Development also provide the necessary evidence that any works being undertaken are lawful if, for example, a neighbour were to make an enquiry or complaint about the work.


Some developments do not require full planning permission and are covered within Permitted Development. For further information or help on a project please contact us and we will be happy to advise you and discuss your project requirements in greater detail.