1 Select your Product.
2 Review your order.
3 Payment & BOOK Your Survey.

If you have any problems, please let us know, by sending an email to support@smarteplansuk.com Thank you!


Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 6:00PM


Building Regulations Approval

Building Regulations Drawings are the standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. The standards are developed by the Government and approved by Parliament.
The Building Regulations also contain a list of requirements (referred to as Schedule 1) that are designed to ensure minimum standards for health, safety, welfare, convenience, energy efficiency, sustainability and to prevent misuse, abuse or contamination of water supplies.
These regulations set national standards for building work, whether its on a major new development or an extension or alterations to your home.

If you need multiple extensions or have more complex requirements, use this option.

Just need one extension, use this option.

Want to discuss your options personally, use this option.

They cover all aspects of construction, including foundations, damp-proofing, the overall stability of the building, insulation, ventilation, heating, fire protection and means of escape in case of fire. They also ensure that adequate facilities for people with disabilities are provided in certain types of building.
The Types of Work are Building Regulations Approval Required For Are:
New Build Residential Properties.
Extensions and Alterations.
Change of Use.
Internal Structural Alterations.
Loft and Garage Conversions.
Installing a WC.
Loft Conversions
Building regulation drawings are technical drawings that set out in detail such as construction methods and types of materials that should be used throughout the build.
How Can I Get Building Regulations Approval?
Building Regulation approval can be obtained through a Full Plans Application which comprises of a completed application form, a detailed set of building regulation drawings and the correct fee. Throughout the Building Regulations process a building control inspector will visit the site to make sure that the work which has been undertaken meets the required standards.
What Happens If I Do Not Apply For Building Regulations Approval?
Obtaining Building Regulation Approval from you’re the Local Authority is a legal requirement when carrying out certain types of building work. If you chose to carry out applicable work without Planning Permission it can lead to enforcement action being taken by the local authority.

We have a 100% success rate in obtaining building regulations approval for our clients, providing fully annotated, detailed building regulation drawings, these Building Regulations Drawings will also enable your builder to quote on the build costs for your project.
Following our initial feasibility assessment of your project, which we conduct remotely free of charge, we would be able to advise you of what permissions you would require. Most, if not all works will require building regulations approval, so get in touch and we will be happy to help! We will Prepare your Building Regulations Drawings and submit the building regulations application to your local authority on your behalf and act as you agent, dealing with ongoing questions and information that may be required by building control.Building Regulations Drawings

Want to know even more?
Building Regulations are regularly being updated, and consist of parts A-P. Below is a brief explanation of each.

A – Structure
This part is concerned with the structural stability of buildings. Areas covered include design of foundations, walls, floors and roof components and also in limiting the extent to which parts of the building may collapse if a major catastrophe, like a gas explosion occurs.

Approved Document A - Structural Safety

B – Fire Safety
This part includes requirement for providing early warning of a developing fire, satisfactory escape routes, preventing fire spread both within and to other buildings and providing good access and fire fighting facilities for the Fire Services.

Approved Document B - Fire safety

C – Site Preparation and Resistance to Contaminants and Moisture
This part contains the recommendations of making sure your property remains free from damp penetration, condensation, from any contamination that may be in the ground, and watertight.

Approved Document C - Site Preparation and Resistance to Contaminates and Moisture

D – Toxic Substances.
This part provides guidance on the prevention of toxic substances permeating into the building when inserting insulation into cavity walls.

Approved Document D - Toxic Substances

E – Resistance to the Passage of Sound.
This part includes requirement aimed at reducing sound transference between dwellings, flats, from certain types of rooms and between communal areas and dwellings.

Approved Document E - Resistance to the Passage of Sound

F – Ventilation.
This part provides for adequate levels of ventilation to buildings and prevention of condensation forming in roof voids.

Approved Document F - Ventilation

G – Hygiene.
This part is concerned with providing sanitary conveniences and adequate washing facilities. It also includes requirements associated with unvented hot water storage installations.

Approved Document G - Hygiene

H – Drainage and Waste Disposal.
This part deals with the disposal of sewerage, waste water and storm water drainage together with details for solid waste storage (household refuse).

Approved Document H - Drainage and Waste Disposal

J – Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems.
This part covers safety requirements when installing either solid fuel, gas or oil heating appliances.

Approved Document J - Combustion Appliance and Fuel Storage Systems

K – Protection from Falling, Collision and Impact.
This part is concerned with staircase design, headroom, handrails, balustrading and guarding of landings, balconies and other raised areas.

Approved Document K - Protection from Falling, Collision and Impact

L – Conservation of Fuel and Power.
This part provides minimum standards of energy efficiency to all parts of the building. This section also provides design criteria for space heating and hot water storage.

Approved Document L - Conservation of Fuel and Power

M – Access to and Use of Buildings.
This part deals with the design of buildings to enable all people to gain access, and be able to use the facilities of the building. It also includes requirements to help people with sight, hearing and mobility impairments use buildings.

Approved Document M - Access to and Use of Buildings

N – Glazing Safety in relation to Impact, Opening and Cleaning.
This area is concerned with providing safety glass in critical locations (glazing you are likely to walk into or fall against).

Approved Document N - Glazing Safety

P – Electrical Safety.
This part applies to electrical installation work in dwellings, common parts to dwellings and associated gardens.

Approved Document P - Electrical Safety

Regulation 7.
Approved Document for Regulation 7 - Material and Workmanship


Here is some helpful information if you are considering Building over close to a Public Sewer
Your Local Water Authority is responsible for maintaining public sewers, which are sometime located within the boundaries of properties. You must get their agreement to carry out any building work over the top of or within 3 metres of a public sewer to ensure that no damage is caused to it or restrictions made to the way your local water authority use and maintain the sewer.
Here are some answers to questions you may have if you are considering building over a public sewer:
What is a public sewer?
A sewer is a pipe that serves more than one property. All drainage pipes (that connect to the Water network) are now public sewers except where only one property is served by the existing pipe, which is known as a drain. A drain is privately owned and maintained to the property boundary by the home owner, once it crosses the property boundary this pipe becomes the Water authorities responsibility.
Why do I need to apply?
Public sewers can often run through private land, under houses and through gardens. Any building works within 3 metres of these sewers needs to be approved by the Water authority to ensure that the sewerage network is not compromised.
Some minor public sewers serving a number of houses, often run along the back of older properties. As these may not show up on the sewer maps it is important your local water authority is contacted at an early stage if it is suspected that a public sewer could be present. This will enable them to discuss and agree any necessary steps required to avoid problems in the future.
Your local water authority need to know about any building work near or over a public sewer in order to:
Prevent the sewer collapsing. The extra weight of a new building above could cause the sewer to collapse, resulting in structural damage to the new building, interrupted drainage from other properties and wastewater flooding. In these instances the sewer will need to be repaired quickly and this may involved taking down the building.
Ensure they have access to carry out maintenance and repairs
What are my Build Over options?
If you find that your plans could affect a public sewer, you should first consider one of the following options:
Avoiding the sewer through modifications to your plans so that the buildings are at least 3 metres away from the sewer. This is often the easiest and cheapest option.
Diverting the sewer. If your plans cannot be modified, your local water authority will usually require the sewer to be diverted. In most cases they will have to carry out the work but at your expense.
What happens if building over will not be permitted?
Your local water authority will not permit building over on a new detached development – a sewer diversion will be required funded by the developer.
Where feasible, manholes should be removed and piped through.
How does the Build Over Process work?
If having considered the alternatives your only option is to apply to build over a public sewer, a written application form must be made to your local water authority. In some circumstances, they may allow you to build over a sewer subject to the sewer being in satisfactory condition and their written Agreement to do this before you start work.
For all classes, except class 1 domestic, they will need to carry out a Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) survey before you begin work to ascertain whether any repair work is required. Another survey is required when your building is completed to check that the sewer has not been damaged. If you have not obtained their agreement, in certain circumstances, your local water authority have the right to discontinue your works and the buildings erected over the public sewer may need to be taken down. Contacting your local water authority as early as possible in the design process is encouraged to avoid any abortive costs, delays or other problems.
A charge is made for every build over application. The level of charge will depend on the size of the sewer to be surveyed and whether a detailed investigation is necessary. In some cases, where major “strategic” sewers are involved, a formal legal Agreement will be required.
How do I locate a public sewer?
We will liaise your local water authority in order to locate a public sewer and investigate the site for drainage on site and map both public and private sewers.

error: Copyright© SMARTePLANS® Content is protected !!